Ageing is a fact of life, but looking your age is not. Clear and healthy skin goes a long way towards maintaining a youthful appearance, and these seven tips should help you achieve that goal.
- Protect yourself from the sun: Must like every Mr. and Mrs. Chennai, the sun and the city of Chennai have a symbiotic relationship that seems to get closer every year. But no relationship is entirely perfect, and so it is with the UV rays that can wreak havoc on your skin and accelerate ageing exponentially. To guard against the damaging effects of the sun, use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a SPF of 30 or greater. Reapply every few hours to replenish the sun-shielding ingredients.
- Cleanse gently. Wash your face with a cleanser to ensure that the pores that allow your skin to breathe do not get clogged, and ensure that the cleanser is suited to your skin type. Cleansing once a day is sufficient unless you have oily skin, but splashing your face with water over the course of day can only do good.
- Moisturize daily. Ideally twice a day after a shower and before going to bed. Focus on a gentle moisturizer that suits your skin, instead of using products that are excessively fragrant.
- Eat well. While a balanced diet rich in nutrients is important in almost every aspect of health and wellness, the key to good skin is retaining just the right amount of moisture. Foods rich in omega 3 fatty acid, like fish, flax seeds, almonds, and walnuts, are just what the doctor ordered.
- Watch what you drink. While most of us love waking up to the smell of our morning cuppa, whether its kadak chai or filter kaapi, that caffeine boost comes at a high cost. Several studies suggest that consumption of coffee and tea has a detrimental effect on the skin, but fear not: experts recommend drinking lots of water and green juices to counter the effects by oxygenating the skin and fighting puffiness too!
- Hands off! Next time you catch yourself touching your face, think about where your hands have been over the course of the day. The world is full of harmful bacteria that are itching to hitch a ride to your radiant face.
- Stay happy. Healthy skin is a reflection of overall health & wellness. Just as food and drink have an effect on the skin, negative mindsets driven by stress and anxiety manifest on the surface and tarnish skin. Spend a few minutes every day meditating to foster a clear mind.